The history of Java is very interesting. Java was originally designed for interactive television, but it was too advanced technology for the digital cable television industry at the time. The history of java starts from Green Team. Java team members (also known as Green Team), initiated this project to develop a language for digital devices such as set-top boxes, televisions etc. But, it was suited for internet programming. Later, Java technology was incorporated by Netscape.
Currently, Java is used in internet programming, mobile devices, games, e-business solutions etc. There are given the major points that describes the history of java.
1) James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton initiated the Java language project in June 1991. The small team of sun engineers called Green Team.
2) Originally designed for small, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
3) Firstly, it was called “Greentalk” by James Gosling and file extension was .gt.
4) After that, it was called Oak and was developed as a part of the Green project.
Why Java named as “Oak”
5) Why Oak? Oak is a symbol of strength and choosen as a national tree of many countries like U.S.A., France, Germany, Romania etc.
6) In 1995, Oak was renamed as “Java” because it was already a trademark by Oak Technologies.
Why Java named as “Java”
7) Why had they choosen java name for java language? The team gathered to choose a new name. The suggested words were “dynamic”, “revolutionary”, “Silk”, “jolt”, “DNA” etc. They wanted something that reflected the essence of the technology: revolutionary, dynamic, lively, cool, unique, and easy to spell and fun to say.
According to James Gosling “Java was one of the top choices along with Silk“. Since java was so unique, most of the team members preferred java.
8) Java is an island of Indonesia where first coffee was produced (called java coffee).
9) Notice that Java is just a name not an acronym.
10) Originally developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems (which is now a subsidiary of Oracle Corporation) and released in 1995.
11) In 1995, Time magazine called Java one of the Ten Best Products of 1995.
12) JDK 1.0 released in(January 23, 1996).